AEC, Inc. has been involved with structural, mechanical, electrical and fire protection engineering requirements for many early 1800’s barn and mill renovation projects over the last two decades for noted Main Line architects. Dave Brandt and AEC, Inc. were the engineers of record for four local projects, which converted barns into residences. Two of these conversions are in Radnor Township close to the Inverary residential development off of Church Road, one is in Delaware County and the other is in Chester County.
AEC, Inc. provided structural and MEP engineering for each of these barn conversion and restoration projects. Each barn was wood framed with partial stone exterior walls and partial exposed wood finishes. All were two-story with lofts having approximately 4,000 square feet of living areas. The major interior wood framing and some wood decks were left exposed along with interior stone in the exterior walls. The mechanical systems were concealed except in the two story open areas where circular spiral ducts were painted and exposed.
WAYNESBOROUGH COUNTY CLUB
AEC, Inc. was the engineer of record for the Waynesborough County Club maintenance facility, which included shop areas, offices and storage requirements for the golf course maintenance. The project included the total conversion of an early 1800’s barn of about 4,000 square feet, which included a number of structural requirements along with a complete new heating and air condition system and new electrical service.
The new office headquarters for American Infrastructure was created in a three level, 5,000 square foot early 1800’s barn in Worchester Township. The structure was modified to create some upper level open office facilities, to add an ADA elevator for complete accessibility, and to create opening for new windows on three of the exterior walls. AEC, Inc. completed all of the structural, mechanical, electrical and fire protection requirements for this new office facility.
PENNSYLVANIA RAILROAD BUILDING
(Original Architect: Frank Furness)
AEC, Inc. provided civil, structural, HVAC, plumbing, electrical, and fire protection design services for the renovation of a turn of the century six-story office building in Wilmington, Delaware for ING Direct. The MEP systems were completely replaced and the building was internally upgraded to provide a contemporary business environment, while maintaining the historical integrity of the building exterior features.
MILFORD MILLS RESTORATION
AEC, Inc. documented the civil and structural requirements for the restoration of this late 1700’s mill facility in Milford, NJ on the Delaware River. This restoration included the complete re-building of the building foundation system and all main framing members. Because of the extensive below water line modifications, AEC, Inc. had to obtain a Delaware River Basin Encroachment Permit.
BURNS HALL RENOVATION AND RELOCATION
AEC, Inc. provided civil, structural, HVAC, plumbing, electrical, and fire protection for the relocation of a 6,200 square foot, three-story, early 1800’s stone house used as a Jesuit Monk residence on the Villanova University Campus. The residence was relocated to make room for new dormitories, and then renovated with new systems, while maintaining the original appearance and feel of the residence.
MILLS RESIDENCE AT SMOKEHOUSE FARMS
AEC, Inc. provided civil, structural, HVAC, plumbing, electrical, and fire protection for the renovation and restoration of an existing farmhouse and barn. The systems were completely replaced and much care was taken to preserve the charm of this late 1700/early 1800’s farmhouse. The original portion of the home was a log cabin dating to the 1700’s, while an early 1800’s stone structure was added on all sides to encapsulate the original log cabin.
The 1800’s stone barn was restored and converted into garages and an apartment on the lower level. The upper level consisted of the second floor of the apartment and locker rooms, bathrooms, kitchen and bar, and a mechanical room all serving the upper level outside pool area.